KBC Lottery Frauds
In such cyber frauds, the fraudsters send WhatsApp messages to unsuspecting victims from unknown numbers (most of them
starting with +92, the ISD Code of Pakistan) claiming that their mobile number has won a lottery jointly organized by Kaun Banega Crorepati
and Reliance Jio worth Rs. 25 lakhs and in order to claim that lottery they need to contact some person whose number is provided in the
same WhatsApp message.
When the victim contacts on the mentioned number to claim the amount, the fraudster tells him/her that they need to first
pay a certain refundable amount towards the processing of the lottery as well as GST, etc. Once the victim deposits that money, they start
demanding for more on one pretext or another. The fraudsters insist on communicating only through WhatsApp. They induce the victim to deposit
money in various bank accounts and the entire fraud goes on for several weeks and even months for as long as they can keep inducing the victim
to deposit money. After some time, they start telling the victim that the lottery amount has been increased further to Rs. 45 lakhs, then to
Rs. 75 lakhs, so on and so forth so as to keep the victim engaged and interested. Finally, when the victim starts insisting on getting the
money or refuses to pay more, they stop calling him/her and discontinue the WhatsApp numbers that were being used in the fraud.
1. Any message informing that you have won a lottery or a prize, is, in all likelihood, a fraud.
2. A closer look into such messages will show poor drafting, grammatical errors, and other glaring signs that the message
is not genuine.
3. These frauds exploit your greed. You forget to take basis precautions such as discussing with family members, verifying
the information through alternate means, etc., as you get blinded by your greed.
4. In any genuine lottery or prize, the tax component and other charges are cut from the prize money and the winner gets
the deducted amount. So ask yourself the question that why you have to pay these charges in advance to get the so-called lottery money. This is
because it is a fraud and there is no money that you have won.
5. In the caller insists on maintaining secrecy, it is a sign that there is something fishy about the whole thing.